Thursday, June 7, 2007

Buttons

I've been casting around trying to think of a good way to create samples of my work. The idea being to make something small but generally representative of what I do - hard to do when you're a weaver!

One idea is to make some buttons - and I finally did! I found some little buttons from a sewing supply store and used some old fabric that I wove a while ago, before I got pregnant - it's a turned twill woven from tencel that I dyed myself. Most of the fabric became covers for a couple of journals for myself, but I thought this would be a good use for the remainder...



I really liked the fabric as I wove it, nice to think it will have a second life of sorts.

5 comments:

Alpaca Granny said...

You are so creative. How did you get the fabric to stay on the buttons?

skiingweaver said...

Hi Maple! The buttons actually come in two parts, the top part has little grippy teeth that hold the fabric while you wrap it around and then there's a flat part that snaps onto the back and holds it all in place. I had some sore thumbs until I got the hang of it! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow - these buttons are so cute! I've got to get me some!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea! They look great! And I like the book cover idea too! My samples box is getting a little full...hmmm...

-Jessica M.

Weavermania Productions said...

LOVE THE BUTTONS!!! Imagine having a handwoven jacket to put those on?! If only....... :)