Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Colorful Weekend...

Our family bid farewell to a very beloved friend this weekend...

Mr. SkiingWeaver's purple car has gone to a new home! (That's little man Conall on his "bike" next to it...) The poor thing has been sitting in our garage for about three years, not working, until my brother Andy decided to adopt it and do the little fix-ups it needed to get back on the road.

I suppose it's a little silly to be sentimental about a car, but it was Carlos' first-ever car (bought when he graduated from college) and we drove it all over the Southwest when we lived in Austin. Many fond memories of road-tripping in the purple car to Taos to ski, or off to explore Mesa Verde and Telluride... But, it's good to see it out and about again instead of gathering dust (literally) in our garage.

I was obviously having a hard time concentrating on actually *weaving* at the studio this weekend....

But at least I finally painted my studio door! This is the inside view, looking out to the corridor - the door frame is a dark chocolate brown, the door itself is teal, and on the outside there's a border on the wall of the same purple as the pillar in the studio.

So, not particularly productive on the weaving front, but I still feel like I got something accomplished. We're having Open Studios the first two weekends of December (Saturday and Sunday both weekends), and I was really wanting to paint over the boring grey on my door, and get some color out in the hall, too... I have very little inventory for those Open Studios - eeks! - but I'm working on kind of letting go of the stress and just going with what I'll be able to get done before then... I've sold a whole heck of a lot of work already this fall, so it's ok if I don't sell much more... Or so I keep telling myself!

6 comments:

Sunrise Lodge Fiber Studio said...

I bet you'll sell everything;) It must be so much fun to have a studio where folks can pop in and watch you weave. I can't wait to see your next project;)

Susan said...

Its important to enjoy the space in which you be creative in!
Paint is an easy and cheap 'fix'.

I recently painted my entire studio to produce a calm atmosphere and I feel very much at home there.

Good luck with your sales.
Susan

Anonymous said...

I love color in a room; it brings it to life.
Good luck with your studio open house!

Unknown said...

sooo kristen how's the spinning coming?

Timothea said...

Did you get a new car? I don't see the red Subaru!!

skiingweaver said...

Hi there Timothea! We still have the red WRX and we actually got another Subaru wagon (silver) (used) a couple months ago... The mini-van is Timothy-dear's, he drove Andy up so Andy could drive the purple car home. (I have lots of brothers. Timothea is one of my grown-up nieces, daughter of my oldest brother, Mark! She lives in England, how lucky is she???)