Sunday, July 22, 2007

NEWS

How fun!

Today, I attended just one day of workshops at NEWS - the New England Weavers Seminar. Weavers from all over New England converged on beautiful Smith College this past Thursday evening through today, for classes, seminars, a fashion show, all sorts of fun stuff.

I just signed up for a couple classes for today, thinking it would be a bit much to leave sweet hubby Carlos alone with the kids all weekend. The classes were so good, I'm wishing I had signed up for more! Next time... (It's held every other year, in the off years from Convergence, the nation-wide weavers conference, run by the Handweavers Guild of America, which I'm really hoping to attend next summer in Tampa Bay, Florida. Even thinking of maybe trying to plan a project to submit to one or the exhibits, GULP.)

Always wonderful to be in the company of fiberholics... And although the classes I took were more business oriented (a marketing seminar and a tips & techniques seminar, both taught by the wonderful Robyn Spady), they were still full of inspiration. Can't wait to get started on some of the projects she inspired!

One comment/question. Robyn talked a bit in the second seminar about how to rectify threading errors. I just don't get it - it seems so simple to me to just check your threading as you go! I thread a maximum of 1" of ends through the heddles, stop, check them to make sure I've got it right, tie off the bundle and move on.

I get the impression that lots of weavers will thread *all* of their warp before checking for errors. Why would a weaver ever do this?? Am I missing something?? Seriously, when I check every inch or so, I have made a grand total of maybe two threading errors in nearly seven years of weaving! (One documented in all its glory right on this blog, lol.) Maybe it's easier to check more often when you warp form the front to the back? I don't know. It's a big ol' mystery to me, but it seems like such a simple way to prevent a huge amount of annoyance down the road...

No comments: