Monday, May 24, 2010

So I'm Not Exactly an Expert Seamstress...

... but I do have fun with it! I made a fun little smart phone pouch earlier this week. The pattern is from the fabulous The Crochet Diva on Etsy, and the pattern itself is her Swanky Little Phone Case. It was a wonderfully clear pattern - even a newbie seamstress like me could follow the instructions very easily.

Here's what my version looks like folded up:

There are two pockets on the inside (I still need to add a snap to that tab I'm holding down) - that's my Droid peeking out of the lower one.

This is the back:
That's my fabric and button - the same organic cotton/Webs cotton in turned twill that I'm using for my journal covers - I used an organic cotton sateen as the lining fabric.

I had all sorts of fun making that pouch! I am, however, developing my own little pouch to sell, instead of using a pattern. I'm getting there - it will have an open top and an inside pocket. I've almost got the prototype perfected, but look what I did...

I sewed two backsides together (as opposed to a front and a back) - lol, whoops! Putting that little seam ripper that came with my sewing machine to good use... I think I need to tweak the little pocket a bit, too, it's coming out a little on the large side at the moment.

Never thought I'd actually enjoying doing some sewing...

2 comments:

gonga said...

Pouches look great, and I love the books, are they going to be on etsy? Just finished some hem stitching on a woven runner, I usually twist my ends after its off the loom. Hemming is certainly quicker than twisting!! (no hems at all on bound books though- clever!!)

skiingweaver said...

Hey there! Yup, I'm going to get the journals on Etsy - waiting for more bookboard to arrive so I can do up a few more first - though I probably should just list the couple that are ready to go... I'm so slow at hemstitching! LOL! Definitely got faster as I went, though... Everything gets easier with practice, right?