Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Handwoven Magazine!

Well, I've been sitting on some very exciting (for me, lol) news, but I think it's probably safe to post about it now...

A couple months ago, I was contacted - out of the blue!! - by Madelyn Van Der Hoogt, the editor of Handwoven Magazine, asking if they could publish one of my scarves that she had seen on Flickr. How cool is that??? It's this one, that I wove a while ago as a custom order for a lovely customer:

It's made from 8/2 amethyst Tencel, and uses a simple five-end huck lace to create panels along the length of the scarf. Since I'd already sold the scarf, I wove up another one to send along - thank goodness I keep detailed project notes so that I could recreate it exactly!! And, since I'm an overachiever, I wove another one, too, in a spring green color (called lemongrass), also in 8/2 Tencel from Webs.

I got the proof of the article yesterday and it looks great! I wish I had the Handwoven photographer around to take pictures of all of my work, wow... It will be in the upcoming March/April issue! I'm so darn excited, how cool! I hope it doesn't get pulled at the last minute, lol! I'll believe it when I have it in my hands, I guess...

So, that was enough to have me bouncing around the kitchen, all happy. But then she asked me to write the Endnotes for the issue as well! Wahooo!! The Endnotes are a one-page column at the end of the magazine, written by various weavers - usually very prominent weavers, I'm incredibly flattered to have been asked, even if just to provide a more beginning weaver's perspective... I talk a bit about becoming a weaver, being a stay-at-home-mom and selling on Etsy; I'm not sure what will remain in the final version, she's going to edit it this weekend.

I had a wonderful time writing both the article and the Endnotes (love writing, but it can be very hard work) and just can't wait to see them in actual print.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! How exciting!

skiingweaver said...

Thank you!! :)

Jessica Madsen said...

Congratulations, Kristin! I'm so glad that others find your work inspiring! And I can't wait to read your endnotes! :)
Jessica

skiingweaver said...

Thank you! I'm still all thrilled, lol.