Thursday, September 6, 2007

Twisting Madness

Wow, I've actually managed to finish two more scarves in record time. Twisted fringe during Red Sox games, got them washed, and managed to take photos during Conall's 30-second nap this afternoon (sigh) (my kids don't sleep). Nothing like a sale to light a fire under one's rear...

The first is a lime/white twill woven from zephyr (50/50 wool/silk) and 50/50 alpaca wool:

The pattern is called "gothic cross" and is from Marguerite Davison's A Handweaver's Pattern Book. If you're a weaver with a four-shaft (or more) loom and don't already own this book, run, don't walk to Amazon and get yourself one. (It's an old book, out of print, but you can still find it!)

Here's a closer view of the pattern:

I like it. :) The reverse side is predominantly green, but I think of this as the front side.

I looooove how this second scarf turned out, though!



This is a turned Ms and Os pattern - and it's made from three shades of pink bamboo (love that bamboo) - ranging from light shell pink to burgundy to outline the cells. Would make a nice gift for a breast cancer survivor...

Bamboo, it turns out, loves Ms and Os. Who knew?! It shrinks up just enough during finishing, I think, to really take to a structure that requires the yarn to move. Which means the finer version of the yarn would probably make gorgeous lace, too. Hmmm....

I'm thinking I might have to make another one of these, and a little headband/scarflette, too, for myself. Now if I can just get around to choosing the best pictures and getting these two listed in my etsy store...

5 comments:

ECS said...

Hi, I'm a fellow skiing weaver (found your blog via flickr) and I just wanted to say that the Handweaver's Pattern Book IS still in print somewhere, because Webs sells it. It was the book I learned to weave with and I of course had to have it. It's a classic!

and I think I have woven that pattern once myself :-)

skiingweaver said...

Hey, a kindred spirit! And very good to know about the book. I love Webs - and they just came out with a line of 10/2 bamboo yarn... Yummers. May be time for a little trip out to Western Mass.

Alpaca Granny said...

Kristen, I haven't visited in quite a while. You have been very productive. How can you do that with the wee ones? As usual, your work is beautiful. I so enjoy seeing it.

Alasdair said...

Like ecs said, the book is still going. It also can be bought at the publisher's site (I think it is their *only* book), which is www.spenship.com/index.html. Unlike ecs, I can't recall how to embed links. :O)
Your weaving is beautiful... A little trippy as I am awaiting bamboo (a little heavier gauge, but similar, from Silk City) to do none other than Gothic cross scarves. Eerie.
Anyway, I really love your scarves.

skiingweaver said...

Hi Alasdair! So glad this book is still being printed, it's a wonderful resource. And I would love to see photos of your scarf when it's done - I looooove bamboo!